28.9.2020 - Business Readiness Bulletin – The UK transition
Business Readiness Bulletin – The UK transition
The UK has left the EU, and the transition period after Brexit comes to an end this year. Take action now to get ready for new rules from January 2021. This bulletin is issued by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and provides the latest information for businesses. All information on the UK Transition can be found at www.gov.uk/transition
- Preparations for the end of the Transition Period
- Sign up for the Trader Support Service
- Business Support Webinars – Register Today
There are under 100 days to go until the United Kingdom leaves the Single Market and the Customs Union and businesses, citizens and Government need to prepare. On Wednesday 23 September, The Chancellor of the Duchy Lancaster made a statement to the House of Commons on preparations for the end of the Transition Period. As part of these preparations the Government has published the Reasonable Worst Case Scenario for potential disruption to freight travelling between Great Britain and the European Union at the end of the transition period.
Help is available to support businesses prepare. There is a user-friendly checker tool at gov.uk/transition which details exactly what businesses need to do, and upcoming business support webinars are detailed below.
If you move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland the Trader Support Service will guide you through any changes due to the implementation of the Northern Ireland Protocol. It can help if you:
- are moving the goods yourself
- act on behalf of someone
- send parcels between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or bring parcels into Northern Ireland from outside the UK.
Sign up now using the Trader Support Service website.
Check, Change, Go – Prepare your business for the end of the transition period
The UK has left the EU and is leaving the EU single market and customs union. The end of the transition period means businesses should take action now to prepare for guaranteed changes and new rules from January 2021. To support business preparations the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy is hosting free webinars to help you check the new rules and understand the actions to take.
See the full schedule and sign up to for live sessions here. Following the initial broadcast the webinars will be available on demand.
The live sessions will take place at the following times:
- Services and investment – 11am, Tuesday 13 October
- Retail – 11am, Wednesday 14 October
- Automotive – 2pm, Wednesday 14 October
- Metals and other materials – 11am, Tuesday 20 October
- Electronics and machinery – 11am, Wednesday 21 October
- Consumer goods – 11am, Thursday 22 October
- Life Sciences – 11am, Tuesday 27 October
- Construction – 11am, Wednesday 28 October
- Aerospace – 11am, Thursday 29 October
Webinars for exporters of animals and products of animal origin to the EU
Register for free webinars to learn more about what you need to do to export animals, fish and high risk foods not of animal origin from 1 January 2021.
Webinars: Helping you prepare businesses for the end of the transition period
BEIS is running a series of webinars for trade associations, business bodies and business advisers to assist them in supporting firms to prepare for the end of the transition period. Register your interest here.
Videos: Help and support if your business trades with the EU
Learn more about trading with the EU from 1 January 2020. Videos are available on:
- Exporting and sending goods outside of the UK
- Importing and bringing goods into the UK
- The customs clearance process