SPA 102nd Conference - Fully Booked
At long last we are going to meet again in person .... and have we got a great Event for you !
After what seems like an eternity of meeting virtually, your Committee is delighted to confirm that the SPA 102nd Conference will be held on September 20th at our favourite venue, Tewksbury Park:
What better way to open a Conference but with the legend that is Richard Noble OBE, holder of the World Land Speed Record between 1983 and 1997. Richard was also Project Director of ThrustSSC, the vehicle that holds the current World Land Speed Record.
Richard has some exciting news he’d like to share with Conference and is looking forward to meeting you all on the day! Take a look at Richard's full Bio here. “There can be no achievement without risk.” says Richard Noble.
After an almost surreal and turbulent 18 months, the ‘Great & Good’ of our Industry have been invited to participate in a Panel Discussion around the ‘Events that have brought us to where we are & what the future looks like for our Industry’ ... The panel will be Dan Brunton, CEO of Brunton Publications, Andrew Large, Director General of the Confederation of Paper Industries, Neil Osment, Managing Director of NOA Prism and Poul-Erik Nielson from Paper Trading UK.
Andrew Woollard, CEO of the newly established BoxWay Packaging Group, will be giving his view on the Sheet Plant Sector following his acquisition of the three sheet plants in England that were previously owned by Saica. In his presentation intriguingly entitled The Good, The Bad, The Ugly and… The Opportunity ! Andrew will explain why he invested in a cluster of Sheet Plants, introduce Boxway Group to SPA members (and supplier base) and spotlight what Boxway Group can offer members.
The Right Honorable Jack Straw, former Home Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Secretary, Leader of House of Commons, Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice, will be joining us at Conference. Mr Straw will be giving Conference his views on recent worldwide events during Covid times, Brexit and what it means for the UK in terms of World Trade and how he sees the UK's recovery and the Economic Outlook. This will be punctuated by some of the stand out moments of his time in Office.
We are delighted that Eleni Despotou, Secretary General of FEFCO will be addressing Conference.
Ms Despotou took up the position on 1 February, 2021, replacing Angelika Christ who had held the post since 2007 and has now retired.
Eleni will be sharing with Conference delegates her initial impressions of the Industry including -
* Thoughts on the unprecedented surge in demand for corrugated over the past 6 months (not seen for over 40 years) and a view on the future for our Industry.
* The impact of upcoming packaging legislation on our industry.
* View of our standing as a strategic 'purchase' for key stakeholders (e.g. Brand Owners, Key Sectors such as Produce and the sustainability debate and lobby)
We will be hearing from Mike D’Angelo from AICC on how the US Market is coping and the demand/supply dynamic on the other side of the Atlantic. Mike will be joining us via Live Video Link. We very much look forward to welcoming Mike virtually to Conference and getting an update from our friends over the pond.
Pictured is Steve Young handing over the Presidency of the AICC to Mike in 2019.
We are delighted to be able to get back to presenting all our regular Conference Content including:
- UK Corrugated Industry Update
- Employment Law and HR Update
- Sales Training Update
- Health & Safety Update
Agenda (timings are approximate and subject to change on the day):
|12:30||Buffet Lunch in Mint at Tewkesbury Park|
|13:30||Welcome back to Conference||Tim Gray, Chairman|
|13:40||Keynote Speaker||Richard Noble OBE|
|14:10||UK Overview post pandemic||The Right Honorable Jack Straw|
|14:45||The Good, The Bad, The Ugly and… The Opportunity !||Andrew Woollard, BoxWay Packaging Group|
|15:05||UK Corrugated Update||Neil Osment, NOA Prism|
|15:15||Panel Discussion: Events that have brought us to where we are & what the future looks like for our Industry||Panellists: Dan Brunton, Andrew Large, Poul-Eric Nielson and Neil Osment|
|16:05||Conference Sponsor & Supplier Spotlight||Ben Ginesi, Domino|
|16:15||Impressions of the Corrugated Packaging Industry||Eleni Despotou, FEFCO|
|16:25||USA Overview||Mike D'Angelo, AICC|
|16:50||Conference Sponsor & Supplier Spotlight||Grahame Megilley, Konica Minolta|
|17:00||Health & Safety Update||Andy Ely, TÜV UK Ltd|
|17:10||Employment Law Update||Luke Menzies, Menzies Law|
|17:20||Sales Masterclass Update||Stuart Lotherington, SBR Consulting|
|17:30||Close||Tim Gray, Chairman|
* * * * The SPA and the venue are working hard to ensure this Conference will be a Covid safe event * * * *
- We kindly request that each delegate performs a Covid lateral flow test the day before Conference.
- Masks - your committee recommends that you have one available in case you find yourself in a crowded environment and wish to wear one. Please do remember to respect social distancing with delegates.
- Hand Sanitiser is available in the Cotswolds Suite Conference Centre and throughout the hotel. Sound equipment for speakers will be sanitised throughout Conference.
- The Cotswolds Suite has large sliding windows to allow for plenty of ventilation and we shall be using the outdoor space to best effect with networking and socialising being responsibly encouraged! (Please bring some outerwear)
- There will be a portable CO2 meter provided by the SPA in the Cotswolds Suite throughout Conference to monitor and ensure adequate ventilation.
- If you are not double vaccinated and would like to make the SPA Committee aware of this, please email Julie at email@example.com.
FUTURE DATES FOR YOUR DIARY:
- 103rd SPA Conference will take place on Monday 31st January 2022 - Abbey Hotel, Redditch - further details to follow, including supplier table-top opportunity
- 104th SPA Conference will take place on Monday 13th June 2022 - further details to follow
WITH THANKS TO OUR CONFERENCE SPONSORS:
Hotel & Travel
Tewksbury Park, Lincoln Green Lane, Tewksbury, GL20 7DN