HSE Digest Newsletter: 21st February 2023
Book Now: 4th SPA Health & Safety Forum - 27th February 2023 - Forest of Arden - FREE for Members
Health & Safety Hotline for SPA members: You can contact Alan Jones at Springboard Safety Services on Tel: 07769 886902 or by email: email@example.com (please ensure that you confirm your SPA Member status when calling)
HSE Digest eBulletin
This issue contains:
- details on ensuring you are buying an approved version of the health and safety law poster
- news of enforcement action, including a six-figure fine for a health board
- links to some useful health and safety publications, which are free to download from our website
For more health and safety updates visit HSE website
Check that you’re not buying a fake health and safety law poster
Only HSE can approve a version of the health and safety law poster.
If you employ anyone, the law says you must display an approved version of the poster, or provide each worker with a copy of the equivalent leaflet.
You must display the poster where your workers can easily read it and you can’t print a copy yourself.
We are aware of suppliers selling fake versions online that haven’t been approved.
The current version of the law poster includes enhanced security features and is more durable. Read our guidance on how to identify a genuine law poster.
You can order HSE approved versions of the poster.
You can buy it from other suppliers we work with, but if you have any doubts and need to check if it’s a legitimate version, please email HSEorders@tso.co.uk
Health board fined six-figures after death of patient
NHS Highland has been fined £180,000 after a patient died while being treated at a hospital.
The 78 year-old-man was brought to hospital following a suspected fall at his home and was later admitted to the surgical ward.
While in hospital, the patient suffered from three additional falls which led to bleeding on the brain. He passed away from fatal head trauma two days after his final fall.
HSE's investigation found that the necessary nursing staff to ensure the 1:1 ratio of care failed to be applied.
Read this press release for more details on the incident.
Other recent prosecution cases include:
- Company fined £120,000 after worker fell to his death working on roof
- Company and director fined after HSE inspectors find unusable toilet
Health and safety guidance and information available to download
HSE offers a wide variety of publications containing advice and guidance for employers, workers and the general public.
Like all HSE publications, our health and safety guidance leaflets are available to download on HSE's website.
You can also buy hard-copy versions of many of these titles, such as legal guides, through the HSE Books website.
Here is a selection of some of our most read publications:
- Working with substances hazardous to health: A brief guide to COSHH
- Warehousing and storage: A guide to health and safety
- A guide to workplace transport safety
Upcoming training and events with HSE this spring
HSE delivers a wide range of innovative and relevant training courses and events, both online and in-person.
Our training courses are developed to include practical guidance around regulations. They are delivered by experts to help organisations comply with the law and keep workforces healthy and safe.
Find out more about HSE's training and events. Upcoming courses and events include:
- Safe Net Zero 2023 - Hydrogen
- (21 - 22 March 2023, QEII Exhibition Centre, London)
- HSE Inspectors’ Guide to Electrical Safety
(29 - 30 March, live online)
- HSE Inspectors’ Guide to Improvement and Prohibition Notices
(26 April, HSE Science and Research Centre, Buxton)